How to Upgrade your Belt Loops to make it Fabulous
Although belt loops are functional, they don’t have to be boring. Try replacing your garment’s original belt loops with chain or hardware. Hardware and metal accessories will add personal style with edge, and they’re easy to sew in place.
- Use a seam ripper to remove the original belt loop.
- Cut a chain to the same length as the belt loop (without the seam allowance) using wire cutters.
- Double-thread a handsewing needle and tie a knot at the end. From the wrong side of the fabric, secure the knot of the thread.
- Pass the needle through the top link of the chain.
- Loop the needle through the chain link and the fabric multiple times, pulling the thread tight. Tie a knot on the wrong side of the garment, and trim the thread edges.
- Repeat steps 3 to 5 to attach the bottom link of the chain to the other side of the waistband.
Pick a lightweight chain that won’t tug or pull at your garment.