No-Sew Felt Mermaid Pillow (DIY)
Looking for a quick, no-sew home decor project? This no-sew pillow is fast, fun, and it will help use up all those scrap pieces of felt you’ve got kicking around. I showed Tracy Moore how to make this mermaid-inspired decorative pillow on Cityline for National Craft Month. You can watch the segment here.
To make a no-sew felt mermaid pillow, you’ll need the following supplies:
- Pillow case
- Hot glue gun
- Felt (in various colours)
- Fabric scissors
I got everything above from Walmart.
Here’s how to make the no-sew felt pillow:
- Cut a variety of felt colours into circles approximately 3″ (8 cm) in diameter. (They don’t have to be perfect — mine certainly weren’t!)
- Cut about 12 of those circles in half.
- Trim four of the half-circles so they don’t extend past the edges of the pillow case.
- Glue the half circles around the edges of your pillow case. (This prevents any white from showing through at the edges.)
- Glue the felt circles onto the pillow case row by row, mixing the colours in a random order. Put glue on only half of each felt circle, leaving them unattached on the overlapping side. This will give your felt pillow a more natural, scalloped or scaled effect.
- Enjoy the whimsy this pillow brings to your space. Looking for more colour play? Try mixing things up with tone-on-tone, rainbow, or an ombré effect.