How to replace a button – easy hack to upgrade clothing!
If you’re looking to spice up a garment you’ve had for a while or if it’s too simple for your taste, there’s no easier way to get your style on than to change the buttons. Try replacing existing buttons with vintage or decorative ones– they’ll make your garment go from basic to bold in an instant. Get creative by choosing contrasting buttons that show your personality and your flair for style.
1. Use scissors to cut the original button away from the garment.
2. Double-thread a handsewing needle, and tie a knot at the end.
3. From the right side of the fabric, secure the knot of the thread.
4. Loop the needle and thread through the hole in the shank of the new button, and back down into the garment fabric.
5. Repeat step 4 three or four times until the button is secure.
6. Tie a knot. Trim the thread ends.
Want to make sure your button doesn’t budge? Coat the thread with wax before sewing.